Halloween is tomorrow! Everyone’s getting in the spirit, even Oskar. He’s very happy to be dressed as a lion. Don’t worry- he’s not angry. As I told my aunt who sent the cat costume props, that’s just his face.
I know I’m not alone in calling Halloween a favorite holiday. The costumes and the excuse to let loose and dress like the person you feel you are inside- it’s the best. And it is true that more often than not, I’ve picked librarian. I can’t help it- it’s one of my alternative lives for sure. And an easier costume than some others I dream of.
Here are my favorite 13 spooky Halloween discoveries around the web. (in fairness spooky is a generous term on my part- I can’t handle things that are too scary.)
- Fantastic Halloween hair-do roundup if you need a quick costume topper.
- Yumtastic pumpkin smoothie recipe. I must make this one.
- I know this is old news, but this dress that divides people’s color vision into two different groups really creeps me out still. It came up at dinner last night. Yikes!
- For the vintage lover, I give you 1915’s sluttiest Halloween costumes. This made me laugh out loud. Especially the last one.
- What happens when an entire third-grade class dresses up as the teacher’s husband.
- Goodreads shares 4 exclusive excerpts of upcoming horror books… definitely spooky.
- Written some horror yourself? This contest for short fiction horror is open through early November.
- 30 of the best horror books out there. I can vouch for both It and Peter Straub’s Ghost Story scaring the living shit out of me as a teenager. I think I had to abandon It in the middle.
- I’m not often political, but I think the fact that a book of Jeb Bush’s emails is being published might qualify it for the previous list. Ahem
- Costumes especially for book lovers!
- Favorite monsters infographic.
- Slightly spooky- take this quiz to find out your reading personality.
- And while it’s not exactly spooky, I do find this cat commercial roundup hysterical and as a reading cat lady- we need some cat videos in this post!
Happy Halloween to all, and happy reading! Please share any spooky links or scary stories you have collected in the comments below or on our Facebook page.
A gift before you go...
Get your Copy of Meangingful Units, an eBook and Worksheet to get your draft done along with Footnotes, weekly literary love delivered right to your inbox.