Hey everyone- we’re up to episode 10!
This week I’m joined by Julia Callahan, Director of Sales and Marketing at Rare Bird Books, a small press out of Los Angeles. I know Julia from my Book Soup days, and we’re in a book club together, so I knew she was the right person to speak to the small press experience.
Julia and I talk about how to best work with a small press, what the pros and cons are, and we share our roller derby names. This episode is for you if you’ve ever been curious about the world of the small press and if you like some straight talk, no chaser.
Show notes for Episode 10 with Julia Callahan:
- Small press culture (2:15)
- Publishing timeline (3:45)
- Sleep is the answer (5:15)
- Submissions and the decision-making process (5:30)
- How to submit to a small press (6:10)
- How to be a gold star author (8:30)
- Email etiquette for a press (12:00)
- The role of community (13:00) | Mentioned: Natashia Deón | Dirty Laundry Lit | NY Times Review of Grace
- Being in the book business (14:00)
- Writers as introverts (17:00)
- Marketing books as an introvert (17:30)
- How Bruce Wagner got started (18:45)
- Why twitter is the actual best for writers (19:30) Mentioned: Lisa Lucas on twitter
- How to talk to book people (21:00)
- #nopantsmarketing (21:30)
- Freaking out when meeting authors (22:15) Mentioned : Yiddish Policemen’s Union cover | The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer | Carolyn Kellogg on twitter
- Proud moments from the galley cart (26:45) Mentioned: Elegance of the Hedgehog | The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao |
- Why to call everyone dude (27:30) Drunk Booksellers podcast
- Expressing appreciation to authors (29:00) Mentioned: Francesca Lia Block
- Getting past a no with community (31:00) Mentioned: Episode 1 with Bari Tessler
- Marketing to bookstores and doing events (33:30)
- On natural disasters (37:00)
- Keep everyone from having to say no (39:30)
- Bookstore faux pas (40:45) Mentioned: Litsy
- Roller Derby names (44:30)
- Small Press pros and cons (45:45) Mentioned: Lightning Source | Create Space
- A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara (54:30) Mentioned: Cover Art
A gift before you go...
Get your Copy of Meangingful Units, an eBook and Worksheet to get your draft done along with Footnotes, weekly literary love delivered right to your inbox.