Sometimes we all need a good laugh.
Mary Laura Philpott was the perfect person to talk to about humor. Her book, Penguins with People Problems, began as a small personal project that made enough people laugh that it was turned into a book. She’s just as funny in this interview and I had a blast talking about everything from her book to the book tv show she does and the biggest list of recommended reads I have ever had anyone share on the show. We also dive into social media for book nerds and her tips for getting the word out about your work. You will want the show notes for this one.
Show Notes for Episode 22 with Mary Laura Philpott:
- On writing humor (1:30)
- Blog to tumblr to book (1:45) Mentioned: I miss you when I blink | The Random Penguins
- The cure for vulnerability is a bird (3:45)
- The beauty of taking a risk (4:15)
- Book people have a sense of humor – how many fucks can you put in a book? (5:00)
- The insides of a publishing house (6:30)
- 365 penguin drawings and sustaining a topic (7:30) Mentioned: XOXO and David Rees
- The beauty of a smaller following (8:30)
- It’s all Donald Trump’s fault (9:30)
- Inhaling vs exhaling (10:00) Mentioned: Matthew Inman from the Oatmeal on creativity and breathing
- Healing through creativity (10:30) Mentioned: Donald Trump wasp
- Penguins with parenting problems (13:00) Mentioned: Kj dell’Antonia
- Seeing the physical book & the cover (14:30)
- Drawing people’s problems as penguins (15:20)
- Working under your own name & personal vs. professional (16:45) Mentioned : The New York Times series
- Introversion and anonymity (17:30) Mentioned: A Word on Words show
- Reality television is not real (20:15)
- The bookstore world at Parnassus Books (22:45) Mentioned: Musing | Ann Patchett’s blog | Monthly book recommendations
- Book recommendation extravaganza pairings (23:45) Mentioned: The Girls by Emma Kline + The Risen by Ron Rash + Cruel Beautiful World by Caroline Leavitt | Commonwealth by Ann Patchett | Margaret the First by Danielle Dutton | The Wangs vs. the World by Jade Chang + Border of Paradise by Esme Weijun Wang + | We Show What We Have Learned by Clare Beams + Hag Seed by Margaret Atwood + Almost Famous Women by Megan Mayhew Bergman | The Mothers by Brit Bennett + Grace by Natasha Deón | Death in a Strange Country by Donna Leon
- Reading & watching crime stories (36:45) Mentioned: The Bridge | The Americans
- Inhaling TV for writing (38:00) Mentioned: House of Cards | Veep
- Doing social media for the book world (39:30)
- The conversational aspects of social media (41:45)
- Tips for book nerds & introverts (42:30)
- Read this: The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
Sponsored by Muse Monthly
A gift before you go...
Get your Copy of Meangingful Units, an eBook and Worksheet to get your draft done along with Footnotes, weekly literary love delivered right to your inbox.