Welcome, nonfiction writers!
I’ve got a ton of resources gathered for you, as I’ve published both a non-fiction book and co-edited and anthology and know what it takes to complete each of those projects.
We’ve been fortunate to have quote a few amazing guests who are nonfiction authors on the show, so I have plenty of inspiring listening just for you:
Recommended episodes of The Secret Library Podcast about Nonfiction:
- Susan Orlean is one of my favorite people to speak to on this topic (or in general) so here she is on Making Writing Your Career and on writing The Library Book
- A.J. Jacobs is the master of nonfiction projects where he explores topics through his own direct experience.
- Joanna Penn of The Creative Penn podcast has written numerous nonfiction books for writers, including the wonderful How to Write Nonfiction, which we discuss here.
- Anne Choma, historian, is the author behind the companion volume to the HBO/BBC program Gentleman Jack. We tackle research and encoded diaries in this one.
- Elaine Weiss is the author of The Women’s Hour, a riveting book about the race to pass the 19th amendment.
- Cara Robertson had a winding road to publishing her book on the trial of Lizzie Borden, but she persevered and ended up with a hit.
Essential Reading for Nonfiction Writers:
- Joanna Penn’s How to Write Nonfiction is a fantastic and comprehensive guide
- For exercises and prompts from a variety of teacher and authors, Now Write! Nonfiction is an excellent resource
This should have you up and running nicely with fiction, but try these if you still feel stuck.